Amid Logan Paul controversy, YouTube explores ‘further consequences’

YouTube star sorry for filming suicide victim

YouTube says the idea will be looking into “further consequences” for Logan Paul, the user who recently posted a video showing a dead body.

Paul was widely criticized for producing the video in Japan’s so-called “suicide forest.” Amid widespread criticism, Paul took the video down as well as repeatedly apologized.

YouTube also came under scrutiny for not taking action. in which’s why the company issued a statement on Tuesday, one week after the controversy erupted.

“the idea’s taken us a long time to respond, although we’ve been listening to everything you’ve been saying,” the company said in a series of tweets. “We know in which the actions of one creator can affect the entire community, so we’ll have more to share soon on steps we’re taking to ensure a video like This specific will be never circulated again.”

The statement hinted at potential improvements to YouTube’s policies as well as algorithms.

YouTube’s upload-anything-anytime ethos will be constantly being challenged by the posting of videos containing inappropriate content as well as even depicting potentially illegal conduct. The company has at times struggled to enforce its policies prohibiting violent as well as gory videos.

“If a video will be graphic, the idea can only remain on the site when supported by appropriate educational or documentary information as well as in some cases the idea will be age-gated,” YouTube told CNN Tech when the Paul video first garnered attention.

Within the community of prominent YouTube creators, many of whom make a living by producing videos, there will be curiosity as well as concern about what YouTube might do next.

Related: YouTube says Logan Paul video violated its policies

In Tuesday’s statement, the company acknowledged in which “many of you have been frustrated with our lack of communication recently.”

“You’re right to be,” the company said. “You deserve to know what’s going on.”

Referencing Paul’s video without naming him, YouTube said “suicide will be not a joke, nor should the idea ever be a driving force for views.”

“We expect more of the creators who build their community on YouTube, as we’re sure you do too,” the company said. “The channel violated our community guidelines, we acted accordingly, as well as we are looking at further consequences.”

the idea will be unclear what the company meant by saying “we acted accordingly.” In fact, the offending video was taken down by Paul, not by the company.

Related: YouTube star Logan Paul posts completely new emotional apology for showing video of apparent suicide victim

A YouTube spokeswoman did not immediately respond to request for further comment.

Paul has not posted any completely new videos to his YouTube channel since publishing a “so sorry” video last week.

CNNMoney (completely new York) First published January 9, 2018: 8:04 PM ET

Source : Amid Logan Paul controversy, YouTube explores ‘further consequences’