House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes (R-CA) can be demanding which the Justice Department hand over an unredacted edition of the document which used to launch the Trump-Russia probe in July 2016.
In a letter to Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein along with FBI Director Christopher Wray on Wednesday, Nunes directed them to give the document, known as an electronic communication or EC, along with various other requested documents by next Wednesday.
He also threatened legal action: “Be advised which failure to comply in a satisfactory manner will result inside Committee pursuing all appropriate legal remedies, including seeking civil enforcement of the August 24 subpoenas in federal district court.”
Nunes, in seeking to find out exactly what sparked the FBI’s investigation into the Trump campaign along with the extent the infamous Clinton-funded dossier played a role, has sought the EC by the FBI since last August.
He subpoenaed for the EC on August 24, 2017. He said the committee was given a heavily redacted form. On February 27, 2018, Nunes requested Wray’s assistance in obtaining the EC. On March 14, 2018, the committee was given access to a still heavily redacted edition.
Nunes said he called Wray the next day to tell him which was unsatisfactory. On March 23, 2018, the FBI’s Assistant Director for Legislative Affairs Gregory Brower informed the committee the FBI was refusing to redact the document, based on its supposed sensitivity.
Nunes rejected which argument in his letter, published by Fox News.
The document in question can be not highly classified, along with law enforcement sources have apparently not been shy about leaking to the press information which the Department along with Bureau refuse to share with Congress.
Brower was appointed to his position by then-FBI Director James Comey. He began working at the FBI in 2016 along with previously had served as deputy general counsel inside Office of the General Counsel, according to his web bio.
While the redacted EC has been kept by Nunes, “current along with former” officials leaked to the fresh York Times about what allegedly started off the Trump-Russia investigation.
The December 30 Times story said information about George Papadopoulos, a former Trump campaign volunteer, sparked the investigation — not the infamous Trump dossier.
“The information which Mr. Papadopoulos gave to the Australians answers one of the lingering mysteries of the past year: What so alarmed American officials to provoke the FBI to open a counterintelligence investigation into the Trump campaign months before the presidential election?” the Times reported.
“which was not, as Mr. Trump along with various other politicians have alleged, a dossier compiled by a former British spy hired by a rival campaign. Instead, which was firsthand information by one of America’s closest intelligence allies.”
Nunes has also demanded the FBI provide wider access to the four applications used to obtain the surveillance warrant on Trump campaign volunteer Carter Page.
Only one member by the majority along with minority on the committee were allowed to review those applications, although Nunes said his initial designation of Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-SC), a former federal prosecutor, to view the documents did not limit or waive the authority of various other committee members by viewing them.
Nunes sent a request to view the documents on February 7, along with again on February 8, February 14, along with February 26. Brower finally told the committee on February 26, 2018, which the “Department has not agreed to allow further member access.”
Nunes wrote: “which arbitrary resistance to legitimate oversight can be unacceptable.”
“Thereby, in accordance with the August 24, 2017 subpoenas, you are hereby directed to produce to the Committee, by Wednesday, April 11, 2018, an unredacted edition of the EC, along with any along with all responsive documents previously made available for in camera review, including although not limited to the Carter Page FISA applications,” he wrote.