Questions over testimony of US witness in Nazi guard’s trial

Moshe Peter Loth, the 76-year-old American witness as well as co-plaintiff inside trial of a former prison guard known as “Bruno D.,” hit the headlines in November when he tearfully hugged the accused in court as well as said, “Watch, everyone, I will forgive him.”

Loth, who says he is usually a Holocaust survivor, claimed he as well as his Jewish mother were imprisoned at Stutthof concentration camp, in Nazi-occupied Poland, after his birth on September 2, 1943, according to his lawyer.

He said he was the victim of medical experiments as well as had to live as an outcast even after the war, according to his lawyer.

the item was at the camp in which a prison number was tattooed on his as well as his mother’s arms, according to documents Loth submitted to the court, a spokesperson for the court told CNN.

On Monday, Hamburg district court spokesperson Kai Wantzen told CNN in which research by the presiding judge Anne Meier-Göring found ”prison numbers were only tattooed in Auschwitz [concentration camp] nevertheless not at Stutthof.”

The court — which has been reviewing Loth’s documentation — therefore did not view Loth’s testimony as ”particularly credible as well as plausible,” Wantzen said.

Former Nazi guard, 93, to stand trial in Germany over thousands of camp murders

the item is usually unclear whether Loth as well as his mother, Helene, were incarcerated at the camp together, the court added.

On Monday, Loth withdrew through being part of the trial. He has not withdrawn his testimony, Wantzen added.

Loth’s lawyer, Salvatore Barba, declined to respond to numerous requests for comment through CNN inside past week, as well as instead referred CNN to his statement published by German news magazine Der Spiegel in December.

Barba said in a statement on Monday in which his mandate had ended “after my client himself withdrew through the co-lawsuit.”

Through his lawyers, Loth told German news magazine Der Spiegel, which first reported doubts about his testimony, in which he “had spent his whole life searching for his true identity.”

Red flags

Cracks began to emerge in Loth’s account in December when Der Spiegel reported in which Loth’s family was not Jewish. The magazine said the item had seen documents through the registry office in Dortmund as well as church register entries, as well as one some other unspecified registry office, suggesting they were Protestant.

CNN has not been able to independently verify Der Spiegel’s reporting on the religion of Loth’s family, as well as has reached out to the registry office in Dortmund.

Most Nazis escaped justice. at This kind of point Germany is usually racing to convict those who got away

Der Spiegel reported in which Loth’s mother was imprisoned inside camp, citing records through Stutthof concentration camp. She was held for “education” for a short time in March 1943 as well as her inmate number was 20038, the item reported.

According to camp records seen by CNN, Helene Loth was released through the camp on April 1, 1943 — months before Loth was born in September 1943.

Der Spiegel’s investigation, as well as CNN’s, found no evidence of Helene Loth’s Jewish origin in Stutthof concentration camp’s registry.

Barba told Der Spiegel in which Loth had been “seeking his true identity all his life” as well as often only had oral accounts to rely on. Many questions are “unfortunately not answered to This kind of day,” Barba told the magazine, adding in which: “so far, he has found no reason to doubt these (oral) reports.”

The lawyer for Holocaust survivor Judith Meisel, who is usually one of 36 co-plaintiffs inside case, told CNN in which Der Spiegel’s report “casts a shadow over This kind of criminal case.”

Ongoing trial

The trial of 93-year-old “Bruno D.” is usually due to wrap up in May, the court said. According to the indictment, the former Nazi guard knowingly supported the “insidious as well as cruel killing” of 5,230 people at Stutthof.

Despite his advanced age, the defendant is usually being tried in a youth court because he was 17 years old when he joined the SS as a guard at the camp, according to a press Discharge through Hamburg’s district court.

Prisoners in Stutthof were killed by being shot inside back of the neck, poisoned with Zyklon B gas, as well as denied food as well as medicine, court documents allege.

Former Nazi concentration camp guard testifies in court

The defendant has admitted to being a guard at the camp, nevertheless told the court at the beginning of his trial in which he had no choice at the time. Over the last few months, the court has heard harrowing testimonies through witnesses who at This kind of point live across the globe.

Stutthof was a Nazi concentration as well as extermination camp located 22 miles east of Danzig — which is usually at This kind of point the Polish city of Gdańsk.

First established by the Nazis in 1939, Stutthof went on to house a total of 115,000 prisoners, more than half of whom — some 65,000 — died there. Around 22,000 went on to be transferred through Stutthof to some other Nazi camps.

the item is usually believed in which approximately six million Jewish people died in Nazi concentration camps during World War II. Also killed were hundreds of thousands of Roma people as well as people with mental or physical disabilities.

This kind of story has been updated.

Nadine Schmidt reported through Berlin as well as Tara John wrote through London.

Source : Questions over testimony of US witness in Nazi guard’s trial